Monday, June 29, 2009

Define the Customer to find Value

Just chatted with my wife about applying Lean around the house. She said "We should apply it in the garage." It was difficult for me to take the criticism as my garage is not the place for photos of Lean practices. Mind you, I do have nuts/bolts/screws in bins; magnetic tool holders for point of use storage; clear storage containers to allow simple identification and tool hangers galore. Her point is well taken, though, when I think of her as a customer of "my" garage. I have limited my perception of her use of the garage to merely a parking spot. I did not care to consider the organizational scheme and how it impacted her. Selfishly, I believed myself to be the only customer and therefore should have sole determination of what is valuable in the garage.

Suddenly, I realized I was being just like a famous automaker when he stepped away from everything Lean - "Any color car, as long as it's black." If I believed I was the only customer, I could just do it my way. This myopic view is what gets many Lean programs in trouble. Failure to consider every customer has led to the downfall of many companies, projects and possibly marriages (i.e. not considering the in-laws, not considering the kids, etc.)

I have recently discovered that this is particularly troublesome in the Health care world. With health care providers having to consider, the patient, the drug companies, the insurance companies and the government; it is amazing that they are able to stay in practice. Doctors and other health care professionals often face conflicting customer demands - the patient needs this treatment, the patient wants that treatment, the insurance company will pay for neither and the government has not yet approved the other treatment. What can we do? I believe the best option is to re-focus on the real goal of health care - improving the health of the patient.

When trying to pick the customer to define value, look to the overall goal and understand that at times we must balance the needs of many customers. Soon, I will be incorporating my wife's values in the organization of our garage.

No comments: