Monday, June 15, 2009

Value and Bicycling


I have finally found a form of exercise that I enjoy. Here is the value bicycling has added to my life:
1. Spend time with family and friends
2. Lost weight
3. Seen lots of great scenery in Michigan.
4. Inspired me to raise money for JDRF
5. Met many new friends.
Little did I know what a great time I would have riding a bicycle again. Of course, bicycles have changed since the early days of my "Buzz Bike" from Western Auto and my first "All Steel" 10-speed from Sears. Fiberglass, alloy, and egg-beater pedals are a few of the changes that have been made. I must also admit that those silly spandex shorts have also become my friend. After 8 hours on a bicycle, not having your bottom hurt is a real treat. This fall I head to Killington, VT to ride 100 miles with a group of friends from West Michigan JDRF (more than 40 riders) and we will join about 350 other riders to enjoy the Vermont scenery and raise money for a wonderful cause - curing type one diabetes.
I would pay for this experience and therefore it meets my criteria for adding value. Thankfully, I have tremendous support from my friends, family and community which have helped me raise over $4100.00 to fund research for finding a cure. So far, bicycling has been safe (obey the rules of the road); increased the quality of my life (healthier and more appreciative of nature); easily accessible by just grabbing and going (delivery); and cost has been very affordable (after the sticker shock of not buying a bicycle for 20+ years).
I hope you find something that adds value to your life!

No comments: